Dedicated to the men of Barrow-upon-Soar Leicestershire who died in The Great War - WW I (1914-1918) and World War II (1939-1945)

 
 
 
OUR VILLAGE MEMORIALS TO THE FALLEN MEN
 OF BARROW-UPON-SOAR 
 
 
"Somebody once said that a society can be judged based upon how they treat the dead.
 If a people have no respect for the dead, you can bet there is little or no respect for the living there either. "



 Village War Memorial
Industry Square
Barrow-upon-Soar, Leicestershire, England - 2007

 
 


The Dedication of the War Shrine 1914-1918  - Barrow-upon-Soar
 
'To the Glory of God, in memory of those who have given their lives for their country, and to the honour of those now serving, we dedicate this Shrine.'
 
On Thursday, June 14th, 1917, the War Shrine, which has been erected at the corner of the Vicarage Garden, was dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Peterborough, at 3 p.m. A short service was held in Holy Trinity Church, were a large congregation had assembled, after which a procession was formed, with the Cross-bearer, the Choir, and several of the neighbouring Clergy, proceeding the Bishop, all joining in singing the hymn "Onward, Christian Soldiers." The Shrine was then unveiled by Mrs. E. L. Cooper, and solemnly dedicated by the Bishop in the following words :- "To the Glory of God, in memory of those who have given their lives for their country, and to the honour of those now serving, we dedicate this Shrine. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen." An earnest and eloquent address was then delivered by the Bishop, who said he was glad to be present on that great occasion in the life of the Parish. No one belonging to the village could ever pass that Shrine without giving a thought of love and pride, and saying a silent prayer for those gallant lads out at the Front, and also for those who had given their lives.

There were about 350 names on the Roll of Honour, and 32 had made the supreme sacrifice, with whom, no less than the living, that Shrine would be a sign of fellowship. In the midst of the darkness, anxiety, and sorrow, Jesus Christ was drawing all men unto Him, and we should do our best in helping to bring about the New World and a New Britain, which alone would be worthy of the men we had lost. The service concluded with the singing of the National Anthem.

The Shrine is the work of Mr. Hinde, from a design by Mrs. Cooper, the names having been written by Mr. F. C. Austin. The vases on the Shrine were to be kept supplied with flowers by any relatives or friends who may liked to bring them.



 The War Shrine was situated on a section of the wall of the vicarage at the corner of North Street and Church Street. It was replaced in May 1921 by a more substantial memorial in Industry Square which is the focal point for Remembrance Day Ceremonies every November 11th.


John 15:13 -  Panel saved from 'The Great War' Shrine, Barrow-upon-Soar



Remembrance Sunday - 1954


 
Barrow-upon Soar War Memorial - Memorial Cross at Industry Square
 
In 1920 the Parish Council decided to erect a memorial to the dead of the First World War. Paid for by public subscription, it was dedicated in May 1921 by Col R E Martin of the Leicestershire Regiment. It was subsequently also dedicated to the dead of the Second World War. The War Memorial was Designed by William Douglas Caroe (1865-1938). The cross on a tall shaft raised on a square pedestal and stepped hexagonal base is built out of Clipsham stone. Decorative carved features including a niche near the foot of the base of the shaft containing a figure of St George. Inscribed "GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS THAT HE LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS" and with the 90 names of those that died.


 
Holy Trinity Church
- Barrow-upon-Soar, Leicestershire

 
Memorial Chapel - Holy Trinity Church
 
From the book by Lynne Brookes, Holy Trinity Church, as follows: Little is known about the use of the south transept prior to 1918. Then, at the suggestion of the Bishop, the old disused Communion Table at the west end of the Church was moved and placed in a suitable position in the South Transept, which was then to be converted into a side chapel. The Jacobean Communion Table was restored and renovated and put into proper use in 1921. In 1918, it was proposed to erect a reredos between the windows on the east side of the transept, to serve as a War Memorial to those who died in the Great War (1914-1918). It was agreed the work would not be undertaken until Peace was proclaimed. In 1921, the oak panels* was carved by Mr. Hind, at a total cost of £320. The panels contain 71 names of those from the village who died serving their country during the Great War. In 1923, the carved central section of the reredos, showing the Crucifixion and the figures of Mary and St. John was completed, having been carved by a London firm. This was unveiled by the Bishop of Peterborough in 1923. Also 1923, the alter candlesticks and vases, of gilded oak, were given by Mrs. Marshall. (* Inscribed under panel - Roll of Honour )

Book of Remembrance and Stand
  
 
In 1947, the Church Council agreed to provide this as part of the Church War Memorial. The Book is the work of the Leicester College of Art, and contains the 71 names of those who died during the Great War (1914-1918), and the 19 names of those who died during World War II (1939-1945). The stand was designed by Mr. Caroe, and worked by Messrs. H. Robinson, of Kingston-on-Thames.
 
   
The carved oak Choir Stalls and Pulpit -  Holy Trinity Church

The carved oak Choir Stalls were part paid for by the gift of Mrs. Cresswell, in memory of her son, 2nd Lieutenant Frank Cresswell, killed at Arras, 18th May, 1916. It was "the gift of his mother, provided by his patrimony". Details of the gift are carved on the front stall on the organ side of the chancel. The choir stalls were designed by Mr. W. D. Caroe (architect), and worked by Mr. J. C. Hind (local craftsman). They were completed in 1918. The two Priests Stalls (right and left side) at the Chancel step were the gift of Dr. and Mrs. Cresswell in 1920, again in the memory of their son. The Pulpit was designed to match the Choir Stalls, and was a gift on the 21st September, 1924, by Mrs. Cresswell.

 

 
 
 Memorial Chapel Stained Glass Windows - South Transept

The window to the left of the alter depicts the Crucifixion in the centre panel, with St. Bartholomew and St. Andrew in the two side panels. This was the gift of Dr. and Mrs. Cresswell, again in the memory of their son. 'In proud memory of Frank Cresswell 2nd Lieut 1/9 Leicestershire Rgt. Killed in action near Arras in the Great War 8th May 1916- Aged 21'

The window to the right of the alter depicts the Virgin Mary and Child in the center panel, and this panel was the gift of Rev. and Mrs. Tom Stone, in memory of their son, Lieutenant Tom Pearse Griffith Stone.  'To the Glory of God and in loving memory of our only son Tom Pearse Griffith Stone, Lieut. R.F.A. who died ow wounds in Mesopotamia 5th Feb. 1917. Aged 24.'

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The top left-hand quarterfoil of this window was a gift of Mrs. Dewey, in memory of Private Herbert Willis, aged 25. The painted stained glass window reads - "In memory of Pte. Herbert Willis 2nd Leicesters Killed In Mesopotamia in 19 March 1917 this quarterfoil is inserted." 

 

 

 

 

  The Oak Lectern of Holy Trinity Church was given in memory of Capt. Oswald Henry Feilden. The inscription on the top face of the lectern reads: 'In loving memory of Oswald Henry Feilden Capt. Leicestershire Regiment who fell in France 29 September 1917  Aged 30'

  Victory Panel

This is situated in the Baptistry, carved into the oak panelling. The inscriptions were the gift of Mr. and Mrs. Tatham, and commemorate the ringing of the church bells for the Victory at El Alamein, Victory in Europe and Victory in the Far East. Normally, the ringing of bells was prohibited during war (they could be rung as a warning of invasion by the enemy), however this was relaxed throughout the country to celebrate victories shown on the panelling.

 

 

 

 

 

  
Tree of Remembrance

Memorial Chapel Holy Trinity Church Christmas Tree Festival - 2007

On Christmas Day of 1914, something quite unexpected happened. The troops on the Western Front put down their weapons and climbed from their trenches. British troops entered no-man's land and were greeted by German troops, where they played football, sang songs together, took photographs and even exchanged presents. The Christmas Fraternization lasted through until Boxing Day, and genuine friendships were struck-up between men who, a few days earlier, were devoted to killing one another. It didn't last forever. In fact, some of the generals didn't like it at all and commanded their troops to resume shooting at each other. After all, they were in a war. Soldiers eventually did resume shooting at each other. But only after, in a number of cases, a few days of wasting rounds of ammunition shooting at stars in the sky instead of soldiers in the opposing army across the field. For a few precious moments there was peace on earth good will toward men. All because the focus was on Christmas. One man noted that "This incident suggests that educated men have no desire to kill one another; and if it were not for aggressive national policies, war between civilized peoples would seldom take place"


 
Humphrey Perkins School 'Old Boy's' Memorial Roll of Honour - Barrow-upon-Soar
 Located in the school library
 
Some seventy to eighty old students served in H.M. Forces and twelve did not return. Several parents of those who fell wished to commemorate their sons' connection with the school by making a bequest to it. Thus, Mr. Blintcliffe gave £100 in memory of his son, Harold Kenneth Blintcliffe, who died at sea in 1942*. The interest from the money was to be used to award an annual prize to the boy who was full of spirit and adventure and generally like the boy whose memory was being commemorated. Moreover, the parents of Arnold Ernest Davies (1933-8), who was killed while serving in the R.A.F. in 1942, gave £10 to the Library.

To commemorate the memory of the fallen the headmaster the school inaugurated a War Memorial Fund in 1945. Eventually, nearly £500 was contributed and it was decided to use the funds for three purposes: (1) To provide a scholarship fund for pupils leaving for university or training college; (2) to erect a seat under the walnut tree, inscribed with the initials of the fallen; (3) to have a memorial panel placed in the School Hall.

The unveiling of the war memorial panel and seat was held on 27th March 1947. First of all, the panel was dedicated by the Rural Dean Canon Hargreaves of Woodhouse Eaves, and then unveiled by Lt.-Col. H. Dudley, M.B.E., and an old boy of the school. After that, the memorial seat, of Sussex oak, designed by Mr. Edward Bansley of Petersfield, was unveiled, and then Canon Hargreaves spoke these words: "Let us remember and resolve that the cause for which they died shall not fail through us, so help us God!" The ceremony ended with the singing of the hymn "Now thank we all our God". The memorial seat has long since disappeared along with the walnut tree.


 
Book to be published 2011 by Ralph Bowles 





Jerusalem Island - Barrow-upon-Soar, Leicestershire
 
 
Tree of Remembrance created by R. W. Bowles